Netgear’s Nighthawk X6 Router Looks To Triple Up On Its Competition
A week ago I was lucky enough to meet with Director of Product Marketing, Sandeep Harpalani of Netgear and Senior Director or Product Marketing Richard Najarian of Broadcom to discuss their newest product in the Nighthawk line of routers. The Nighthawk X6 is the first consumer Tri-band router on the market and from their fact sheet has some pretty awesome features that should fix any of your networking issues. Two 5Ghz bands and one 2Ghz band that pushes out a combined 3.2Gbps of speed to your devices. Six high performance antennas alongside with a USB 3.0 port for easy NAS support and last but not least, the unit is damn sexy looking.
Although we haven’t had a chance to test the unit out (hopefully soon) there were a couple of bullet points discussed during the presentation that perked up my gamer ears ESPECIALLY because I don’t have the ideal gaming rig or setup. I game via my laptop (I know) so at the moment I’m playing most of my online games via Wifi. I have pretty good speeds at my home and I sit pretty close to my router, but we all know how laggy a Wifi connection can be when gaming.
The X6’s “Smart Connect” will scan your connected devices and automatically allocate and gauge how much speed they need. As a gamer in a connected household this totally sounds awesome and will hopefully help when my wife is streaming Orange Is The New Black. The second feature was called Beamforming+, which is like a router assisted directional Wifi. This might be a godsend for those of you who consistently lost speeds when on the periphery of your Wifi range.
This could be really awesome for gamers who are in the same conditions like myself. No dedicated Ethernet ports on their machines and need all the juice they can get from their connections.
Still curious? Here is a rundown from their fact sheets:
- AC3200 WiFi technology enables the fastest combined WiFi speeds currently available – up to 3.2 Gbps.
- Tri-band WiFi intelligently connects devices to the fastest WiFi band possible and increases overall network speed.
- 6 high-performance external antennas and powerful amplifiers deliver maximum range around your home and yard.
- 1 GHz dual core processor with three offload processors supports blazing-fast WiFi, wired and USB storage performance.
- Beamforming+ improves range reliability by focusing and locking on 2.4 and 5 GHz device signals as you move.
- Smart Connect intelligently selects the fastest WiFi for every device which helps your 802.11n and 802.11ac devices choose the appropriate 5GHz band for the best performance.
- VPN support ensures secure remote access to your home network.
- Five Gigabit Ethernet ports (one WAN and four LAN) offer fast wired connections.
- SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port offers high-speed, storage-ready access up to 10 times faster than USB 2.0.
- ReadySHARE® Vault, a free software application, automatically backs up Windows-based PCs to a USB hard drive connected to Nighthawk X6.
- NETGEAR MyMedia™ enables you to find and play your stored media from anywhere on your network to your DLNA®-ready TVs and music system.
- iTunes™ server support enables you to play music on AirPlay-compatible devices using iTunes or Apple Remote™.NETGEAR genie® is a personal dashboard that makes it easy to install, monitor, control and repair your home network from PCs, Mac®s, and iOS and Android™ smartphones and tablets.
Pricing and Availability
Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000) is available for pre-order online today at an MSRP of $299.99 in the U.S.
So that’s it for now, hopefully we’ll be able to take the Nighthawk X6 for a test run and give you more details on how it fairs. As a person who is always interested in new tech, this could be something big on the consumer networking side of things. Huge thanks to Richard, Sandeep and Nancy Hanger of Weber Shandwick for having me in for the presentation.